Welly toss, sack races, egg & spoon, tug o' war games in the fields
Enjoy themed face painting for the kids. *
Join our team as they feed the farm animals of Airfield Estate
Help our team collect the hens eggs at 10am each day.
Tours each day at 11:30
Jersey Herd Milking
Each day from 10:30 - 11am
Help us turn the Jersey milk into butter
Best in Show
Submit your brown bread, cupcake or seasonal preserve to be in to win
Show us your creative side and create a custom piece to bring home
From grain milling, trashing, sieving to dough making learn all about how bread is made with author Olivia Goodwillie
Explore the nature play zone in Airfield Estate! Zipline, balance beams and swing your way through
Best in show competiton
We're looking for the best...
Homemade brown bread | Seasonal Preserve | Most Nutritious home-grown vegetable | Most original fairy bun
- Entries must be in by 11am each morning
- Winners will be announced at 3pm on 7th & 8th September
- Most original fairy bun open for under 12's only
- It is FREE to enter
Best in show guidelines
- Homemade Brown Bread – this can include any homemade brown bread, any recipe, traditional or with a twist.
- Seasonal Preserves – this includes preserves made with locally (Irish) sourced produce that was in season when the preserve was made – for example, if the jam or chutney or pickle was made in May, it should be made with a product that was in season in May. This category is pretty open – it can include fruit, berries, veg or even preserved meats.
- Most nutritious home-grown veg – Our head gardener, Colm O’Driscoll will judge this category. He has a little gadget called a brix refractometer that can measure the nutritional value of vegetables (he will take into consideration that some types of veg naturally have higher nutritional values). Basically – if you are growing veg, you should bring them along!
- Most original fairy bun – this is category is open to persons under 12 years old. The entries cannot contain cream as it will spoil before the judging at 3pm. The more creative & original the design, the better chance you have to win!
There will be a competition on Saturday 7th & another on Sunday 8th. All entries must be in by 11 am each day. Maximum of 3 entries per person. They should be dropped off at the Best in Show Stand in the big marquee in the “Big Field”.
It will be free to enter the competition and free to enter the festival (although there will be €5 charge for parking in our car park – we are hoping people will opt for public transport!).
The entries will be on display for the day and the judging will take place at 3pm each day. Our master baker Shane Smith will be judging - except for the most nutritious veg that will be judged by our head gardener Colm O’Driscoll.
We will also be asking participants to fill in a form when they drop off their entry which will ask them for a full list of ingredients and whether they want their entry back afterwards.
Festival of Food
7th & 8th September